Thursday, October 9, 2008

Homeward Bound - Day 1

Good afternoon everyone! I thought I'd start are adventure to BC with the actual travel details. So here we go....

October 3, 2008
Leaving for Home

We began our adventure with a car packed full of scrapbooking stuff, 3 suitcases, 2 camera cases, LOTS of books for Spencer and 3 people probably not quite ready for a 4 day adventure.

My Mom came with us to occupy Spencer as we drove and to make sure we arrived safely at our destination. I sure couldn't have made it here with her... thanks Mom!

We left Princeton promptly at 9:30am and arrived at Sarnia/Port Huron border at about 11:00am. The border was busy and we ended up having to wait for almost 30mins as all the cars and trucks went through the interviewing booths. Since Spencer's last name is not the same as mine and I couldn't get his passport in time for us to leave, we had to show that he was my son. Thankfully I had kept all of passport application on a clipboard in the car... it contained Todd's signature and I even had his letter of employment from ElkValley just incase. We answered all of his questions and passed through with the extra documental okay.

The rest of the drive was pretty uneventful. We drove from Port Huron over to Flint and up towards the Mackinaw Bridge which was our goal to reach for the night.

We passed over the Mackinaw Bridge in Michigan just as the sun was setting and the winds picked up. We ended up stopping for the night in St. Ignace at a quaint motel. We had our first glimpse of the trantrums we were going to have endure as we put Spencer to bed in a strange bed in a strange city, in a strange country.

Lesson of the Day: Always following the DETOUR SIGNS!!!
We used a program called "Streets and Trips" on Mom's laptop computer and a small GPS unit to navigate our way across the country. We came across a detour on Route 75 going up through Michigan and instead of following the detour signs we used the GPS... well..... we had to back track a few miles to catch the detour. Lesson learned.... follow the detour signs first and then the GPS program!!!

NOTE: I have photos to include in my entries but I have to wait for my desk top computer to be delivered before I can load them here. Stay tuned for images!!

No comments:

Post a Comment