Thursday, July 16, 2009

Baby Bambis, Big Rocks and a Birthday Boy

On Tuesday evening, Spencer had fallen asleep in his bed before dinner and Todd wasn't home yet, I looked out the kitchen window to the back yard and there in the backyard was a deer. So I grabbed my camera and slipped on to the deck.

I startled the deer and up and out of the grass rose a fawn. Then a second fawn came up from the gully and then a third.... then a fourth..... a fifth and finally a sixth fawn!!! Yup SIX fawns... all together with only one doe. It was quite the site!

Here's a picture of 3 of them...

They trotted off up the little path we have off the back of the yard so I followed them.

The single doe was standing, watching me as I came up to the top of path. What an AMAZING site!

So this afternoon, Todd took off on the back roads with Mr. S and Little Mr. M, our neighbours, in the Jeep. Here are some of the wonderful views they came across in the back country up in between the Greenhills mine and the Fording River mine sites.

I think the boys enjoyed off roading on their very own little rock with their mini Jeeps!

So after I came home from work and we had dinner, we had the neighbours over for "birthday ice cream". After our ice cream, Todd called up to the mine and was able to secure a truck to take all six of us for a mine tour. We had a great trip and saw lots of HUGE trucks!

On our way out the front gate at Fording, we catch a glimpse of a few elk and their babies!

As we rounded the next corner and the next corner, we saw elk, after elk, after elk! Lots of females and babies. They're SO cute! There were so many that a number were just standing on the road and blocking the way through.

And one last site along the way... sorry the photo is lousy but the light was fading and the camera was not on a tripod.... I captured my first live WILD moose on camera! Those bright green polka dots on his head are his eyes reflecting back the light from my flash.... my "attempt" at a shot or two....


So for tomorrow, we're off to Calgary for the day to take "birthday boy" to a science center there. We gave him a whole bunch of different options as to what he wanted to do and he chose the science center to got to for his birthday. Should be fun!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Your pictures are amazing! I love the mountain shot. BC is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... look at all those wonderful pics!! Here I get excited if a squirrel is sitting on my deck. Have fun at the Science Center. Happy Bday Spencer!

    ReplyDelete